Monday, August 8, 2011

A Couple Kit Cards to Share...

The Green Tangerines August Kit layout and card samples are posted now in the kit club gallery. I have so much fun making samples for the add-on card kit!  Throughout this week, I'll feature a few cards at a time, and note any special techniques I used - starting with today's short post.

My usual, personal style is more "fussy" and dimensional, with a friendly nod to shabby-chic; but with the kit samples, I try to incorporate a wider variety of styles from CAS (clean and simple) to fussy-and-fun, and everything in between.

The August layout kit included two small misters filled with Glimmer Mist.  I used the lighter aqua mist for the fabric envelope on this first card, and on the Hug Snug seam binding for the bow.  I used the Sizzix Bigz Scallop Envelope die (available at the store) and aida (crosstitch) cloth to cut the envelope before misting it.

The white flowers in the card kit are very versatile, and rarely stay all-white when I'm done with them! On this card, I edged the large white flower and dipped the tips of the small white roses with Fired Brick Distress Ink.  A piece of the same lace that runs across the front of the card was gathered with a basting stitch for a touch of "frilly" between the layers of white mulberry flowers.

The Technique Tuesday Ali Edwards sentiment stamp (in the card kit) fit perfectly at the bottom of this card. (The doily stamp at the top wasn't part of the kit, but it's available at the store...it's the Maya Road Doily Borders stamp.) 

Even though it follows my "nod to shabby chic" usual style, this next card is one of the few I've ever made that's monochromatic.  I have tried to make these before...but unlike with this card, I couldn't leave well enough alone and ended up adding spots of colors to my previous attempts. LOL  I let the handwritten look of the condolence sentiment stamp (part of the same set as the stamp used in the card above) determine the style of the card.  But a condolence card should have some sort of formality to it, so I hoped the monochromatic color scheme would accomplish that.

I made up a few tiny white felt rolled flowers for the base under the white mulberry paper flowers from the kit, and added a few white pearls from my stash for accents.

I'll be back tomorrow with more cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...