Monday, June 8, 2015

Mixed Media - Double the Fun...

It's Mixed Media Monday on the blog, and I've got two projects to share with you today, so I hope you have a few minutes to sit back and enjoy the picture show. :)

First up, an all-occasion card made with one of my "smoosh papers" - a piece of mixed media paper literally "smooshed" onto a craft sheet covered with leftover colors from another project. In this case, it's Lindy's Stamp Gang sprays.

The piece was the perfect size for an A2 card, and I liked the way the colors distributed so much that I wanted a lot of it still showing after embellishing. I added only a bit of modeling paste through a Prima stencil in a random pattern, and a bright floral cluster. Instead of using leaves in the flower cluster, I pulled out an old fern punch for a fun change of pace...




Here are some closeups of the floral cluster...




The only rose in the cluster is the large one in the center...all the rest are pretty little sweetheart blossoms...






Supplies:
Color Mediums:   Lindy's Stamp Gang Sprays  - Pop Rock Purple,  Tea Pot Purple,  Hydrangea Blue
Stencil:   Prima "Circular Lattice"            Dies:   Memory Box "Quinn Flourish"
Punch:   Punch Bunch "Large Fern"             Flowers:   Wild Orchid Crafts             
Stamen cluster:   ChocolateLetters on Etsy             Pearls:   Recollections


Last Monday when I shared the butterfly through the brick wall journal page, I mentioned this art journal page layout. It was purely a "work of wonder" as in "I wonder if this will work!" 

It's an experimental blending of different types of mediums (more than an artful design). To my pleasant surprise, since I had never combined some of them before, they all worked together beautifully. (There was one experiment that didn't work out exactly as planned, though, which you might spot right away.)

I wanted to play with using die cuts for texture instead of art mediums and stencils...and I wanted to try to blend wax based color background mediums (Gelatos and Neocolor II watercolor crayons) with water-based spray colors (Lindy's Stamp Gang Flat Fabio spray) and various pens (Ranger Fudeball, Uni Posca, Uniball Signo)...



Here are some progress stepout photos, starting with the die cuts gessoed after gluing onto the pages (a bit hard to see since everything is white)...




You'll notice there are some white splatters on the finished page. Instead of splashing white ink onto the finished pages, I wanted to see if liquid frisket would stand up to all the different product layers, and then come off smoothly when it was finished...and it did! The orange dots are the liquid frisket...



The next step was base color. I used Gelatos inside the circle diecuts on each page (I applied them in a circular design then used a wet watercolor brush to spread them through the circle), and the rest of the background is Neocolor II pencils applied much the same way - scribbled on, then spread with a larger wet watercolor brush.

There was a method to my madness with the butterflies. I added two colors inside the white diecuts on the background, and as you can see in the finished page, when I applied a second black diecut with raised wings over them, I ended up with dimensional butterflies with the colors under the black outline diecut - a fun technique...  




Here are a few closeups showing the finished butterflies and a few other details. You'll see in the closeups how perfectly the liquid frisket came off after the pages were dried. :)

In this first one, you can see that I outlined the bottom butterflies in white for more accent. The hand drawn scallops around the edge were done with a black Fudeball pen, with white accents inside the scallops drawn with a UniBall Signo in white...



I drew inside and outside the circle diecuts with a black Fudeball, and accented inside the circles with a white Uni Posca paint pen...




In this photo, you can see to the left and below the butterfly where I used a Lindy's Stamp Gang Flat Fabio spray (South Shore Sand) to shade and add some dimension to the scribble diecut texture and around some of the diecuts. I wasn't sure how, or if, it would adhere over the Neocolor II's, but it surely did. Even though the Neocolor II's are labeled as "wax pastels," they behave much like any other watercolor once they're dry...




Here's a closeup of one of the circle diecuts, colored with Gelatos and accented with black and white pens...




I also added some of the Lindy's Stamp Gang spray around the circle diecuts for shading, and randomly inside the honeycomb diecuts in the corners. (And yes, I glued the sequins on "upside down" because I liked the way the stamped creases on the back side mimicked the honeycomb pattern of the diecut. :) )...




Have you spotted the one step that didn't work exactly as I had hoped, but was worked around to a degree? Yep, it's the flowers on the lower left. I was curious how stenciled flowers would apply on top of textured diecuts. First I pulled out my black heavy gesso, then realized that wasn't much of a challenge, because of it's thicker consistency. So I went for broke and pulled out my bottle of regular black gesso...and boy was I in for some fun.

I was very careful...and I mean "very"...to make sure my stencil was flat on the top of the page, but I took a deep breath, and instead of using a sponge applicator (which is what I'd normally do with regular consistency gesso) I pulled out a small palette knife. And you probably know what happened next...seepage to the nth degree! LOL

But it wasn't so bad that I couldn't take the edge of the knife and pull out the edges of the flowers to look like large, spiky, blooms. And one advantage to the "seepage" is that the design doesn't just rest on top of the diecuts, but seeps down to the base of the page, making it a more continuous image (and at least now I know what will happen to the design with this technique...LOL)...

Supplies:
Dies:   Tim Holtz "Mixed Media" and "Scribbles & Splats";   LaLa Land Crafts "Fancy Butterfly";   Simon Says Stamp "Bubble Parade"
Color Mediums:   Faber Castell Gelatos;   Caran d'Ache Neocolor II wax pastels;   Lindy's Stamp Gang Flat Fabio "South Shore Sand";   Ranger Fudeball black pen;
Uni Posca white paint pen;   Uniball Signo white gel pen
Art Mediums:   Golden white gesso,  Golden gel medium,   Darice Studio 71 black gesso,   Grumbacher "Miskit" liquid frisket
Word stickers:   Tim Holtz "Small Talk"             Stencil:   Tim Holtz "Wildflower"             Miscellaneous:  sequins, small colored gems



Thanks for stopping by for a visit...I hope your week is starting with a smile!

3 comments:

  1. Your card is so beautiful,,the flower cluster looks wonderful.... And amazing art journal page too! Love the way the colours look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowww Kathy! You have been busy! And all that you've created are just truly AMAZING! The colors, the textures of everything .. it's just full of artful touches! sigh .. Love them all!

    Hope you had a lovely day sweet friend!

    Big Hugs,
    Elise

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...