Tuesday, August 7, 2012

TSTR-Soft Neutrals

I had such a productive time this past weekend I thought it might be next week until I created more cards...until I saw this week's challenge at The Shabby Tea Room. The challenge is to create with only neutral colors - I'm on it! 

When I work with all neutrals, the challenge for me is to get a variety of contrasting textures worked into the design - that's where I have the most fun.  This is the inspiration photo for the challenge:


Last time I made an all-neutral card, it was monochromatic, using creams and whites. This time, I wanted to work with more colors. It was fun pulling some old and new supplies for this card. The background cardstock is a piece of core'dinations textured cardstock that I sanded and drybrushed around the edges. I found a piece of aida (crosstitch) cloth that I had put through my printer and printed with assorted words...a real "oldie but goodie" (and another good reason not to get rid of embellishments just because I haven't used them in the last year - or six :)).  I layered it on top of a heart die cut out of burlap and backed with chipboard and a snippet of lace.




I have a nice collection of colors of the shabby fabric flowers from one of my favorite Etsy shops, but the tans/browns blended with the papers too much, and the cream wasn't the "right" cream. So I pulled out my Tea Dye Distress Ink mist, diluted it a bit more, and recolored one of the cream flowers. It looks more "rust" colored here in the top photos than it does IRL-this photo is actually closest to the true color.

Supplies:
Patterned papers: BoBunny Back to Basics Kitchen Spice/Allspice (B side); K&Co Maison collection (diamond print)
Large fabric flower: Frogfeathers on Etsy     Dies: Papertrey Ink Heart Prints; My Favorite Things Royal Leaves
Lace: The Funkie Junkie on Zibbet      Pearls & paper rose: Prima     
Doily: local craft store      Making Memories Word Fetti stickers      Handcrafted stick pin    
Miscellaneous: burlap, aida cloth, cheesecloth, wide cotton lace

Thanks so much for visiting today!

7 comments:

  1. Very beautiful, love all details!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Kathy, this is gorgeous and embellished to perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww Kathy, what a gorgeous creation! The shades of the neutrals that you used are perfect together!The stitching and special details make it a shabby beauty! Thanks for sharing it this week at TSTR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous creation Kathy!!! Love your coordination treatment- makes such a great backdrop! and the layers of burlap, aida, cheesecloth, chiffon make it so rich!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So So Beautiful Kathy!So many gorgeous elements....love all the layering:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I congratulate! your card is noted! it is very beautiful! with pleasure I will read your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...