Friday, August 1, 2014

Cardabilities Sketch #104 - Thanks For All You Do...

TGIF! This week I had one of those "it's late at night, but the idea is hot and I'm going for it!" nights. While cruising some of the blogs in my feed yesterday afternoon, I came across the new Cardabilities sketch challenge, and I had a few ideas I jotted down. Last night, I changed my mind on a couple of those ideas, and decided to get to work on them before I lost momentum. Needless to say, it was late when I finished (drying time accounted for much of the time spent into the wee hours...that's my story and I'm sticking to it! heehee). Here's the finished card....




Here's the new sketch challenge that the design is based on...



For the background, I started with a piece of solid colored paper, and used matte medium to paste it to a base of 140 lb. watercolor paper. I knew I'd be using wet mediums on top of the paper, and wanted it to have a heavy base that could absorb the wet mediums without buckling. Then I gesso'd on several pieces of cheesecloth as the start of the textured base. 

Once the gesso was dry, I used a combination of sprays and Distress Inks applied with foam applicators to add spots of color over some of the gesso'd areas, leaving the rest of the gesso spots white. The final step was to fingerpaint (yep...I fingerpainted it on...it was fun! LOL)  Distress Stickles in Spun Sugar, Broken China, and Frayed Burlap over the front, to add more spots of color and texture, and just a subtle hint of sparkle.

Here's a closeup of a piece of the front that shows all the ingredients in one place...




There's a diecut doily under the sentiment block, and a twine wreath in addition that sits on top of the horizontal sentiment block. Each on their own didn't look substantial enough, but together, they counter the weight of the heavily textured background and the wider sentiment block...






The sentiment itself is stamped onto a piece of a diecut tattered banner...


Supplies:
Patterned papers:   Maja Designs Vintage Summer Basics
Dies:   Spellbinders Scalloped Borders One;   Sizzix Flowers Branches & Leaves;   Lifestyle Crafts Antique Doily;
Tim Holtz Tattered Banners
Lace:   TheFunkieJunkie.com          Punch:   EK Success Round Binding Edge
Flowers:   Wild Orchid Crafts          Sentiment stamp:   Simon Says Stamp/Friendship Messages
Pearls:   Recollections          Miscellaneous:   cheesecloth, gesso, Distress Inks, Distress Stickles



Thanks for stopping by for a visit today...have a wonderful weekend!






11 comments:

  1. This is absolutely amazing work ! Stunning ! Love all the details and the backround work is divine. Marta x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow words fail me really, stunningly beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Love the intricate little details. Your late night really paid off on this card. Whoever receives this card will have to put this out on display.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely stunning artwork! I love mixed media background and colors :)
    Thanks for playing along with Cardabilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning!
    Thanks for playing along with Cardabilities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning. Love the details.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so pretty. Thank you for playing along with us at Cardabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so incredibly beautiful, I love all the texture!
    Rebecca.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful mixed-media card :)
    Thank you for playing along with Cardabilities :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...