Friday, August 8, 2014

The Twinery - You Are So Sweet...

Good Friday morning, everyone! I'm so pleased to announce that I was invited to be a Guest Designer over on The Twinery blog for August! When Julie first invited me, the ideas started flowing immediately. I've been playing with different styles lately - shabby chic, mixed media, watercolor - and I knew incorporating their wide selection of beautiful twines into these would be a fun experience!

So today, I'm starting off with a "fully loaded shabby chic mixed media" card, in some of my favorite colors...




The background starts off on a piece of 140# cold press watercolor paper. I floated bright shades of purple, pink, green, and aqua watercolors, and when they dried, added some pieces from an old dress pattern. Next, I used modeling paste with a chickenwire stencil to add just a hint of texture to the left side (it's barely visible in the photo, but it's there). Finally, I used gesso to adhere some twisted pieces of cheesecloth, and sprayed the cheesecloth with purple sprays, adding a final touch of Diamond Stickles to brighten it up a bit.

The chipboard dress form was painted white first (you can see that I left it white under the skirt). I "distressed" the base and top with black, cream, and bronze acrylic paints to give them an aged look. The bodice is a scrap of patterned paper. The skirt was the fun part...a layer of cheesecloth, then tulle accented with Diamond Stickles, and finally, pretty accents of Lilac Solid and Lilac Stripe twines...




The sentiment block is tucked into the florals with the use of a painted memo pin...




And finally, Gold Shimmer twine added just the right amount of sparkly accent to the lower corner of the card as big bows tucked under the florals...


Supplies:
Twines:   The Twinery - Gold Shimmer,  Lilac Solid,  Lilac Stripe
Dress form:   Maya Road            Lace:   TheFunkieJunkie.com
Stencil:   The Crafters Workshop/Mini Chickenwire            Flowers:   Wild Orchid Crafts
Die:   Sizzix Flowers Branches & Leaves          Pearls:   Recollections            Tim Holtz Memo Pin
Sentiments:   Winnie & Walter/The Big, The Bold, and You;   Simon Says Stamps Handwritten Greetings
Mixed media supplies:   Sakura Koi watercolors,  sewing pattern pieces,  modelling paste,  Distress Inks,
cheesecloth,  Diamond Stickles


Thanks so much for visiting today...have a wonderful weekend!


8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is just stunning! I'm not usually a fan of purple, but this is gorgeous! I love how you did the bottom of the dress and I love all the little pearls hidden here and there! And the glitter, I just love glitter! Another stunner Kathy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely GORGEOUS Kathy! I *am* a fan of purple (my favourite) and this is simply stunning! You've certainly inspired me to think about having a play with the dress forms I have tucked away now... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! what an absolutely stunning card. There are so many details which are wonderful but for me the colour combination is just amazing. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just stunning. From the colors, to the background to that absolutely beautiful dress. All of the details! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so beautiful.. love the purple! and the mannequin looks gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! Layer upon layer of glorious texture and color, Kathy!! And that sparkly and frilly dress form is the perfect focal point, not to mention the gorgeous floral bouquet!! Teach me your ways, Jedi card master:-))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful. Can you tell me what technique you use for the leaves or do you purchase them?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave me a comment - I appreciate it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...